Industry specific surveys/census for creation of data base on vital sectors of textile industry
§ Conducting regular surveys/studies on demand pattern for textiles.
§ Consultancy on specific requirements of Government & Industry.
§ Census of Power Processing Industry in
§ 100% Power Operated Textile Processing Units covered.
§ Survey revised in 2005.
§ 2510 units identified.
§ General characteristics studied
§ Size & structure of unit
§ Type of Machinery
§ Technology Upgradation
§ Problems of the industry highlighted.
§ Directory available in CD
§ Name & Address of units
§ Contact Numbers
§ Publication on "Census of Power Operated Textile Processing Units in
" is available. Click here to see publication List. India
§ Cotton Ginning & Pressing factories in
§ Survey conducted in 12 states
§ 4015 units covered.
§ Report in two volumes.
§ Volume I deals with techno-economic study.
§ Volume I covers topics on
§ Work Practices
§ Management Systems
§ Qualitative Aspects etc.
§ Volume II is a directory of 4015 units.
§ Name & Address of Units
§ Contact Numbers
§ Directory of "Cotton Ginning & Pressing Factories in
" is available. Click here to see publication List. India
§ Status of Powerloom Sector in Tamil Nadu with special emphasis on Modernisation
§ Survey covers 1155 representative sample units.
§ Sample includes loom and non-loom units.
§ Survey covered 6 major and 16 sub clusters.
§ Report deals with
§ Technology Levels
§ Needs related to funding for technology upgradation
§ Information Available
§ Technology Level
§ Type of looms
§ Widthwise loomage
§ Loom attachments
§ Product range and production details of
§ Grey fabrics
§ Yarn dyed dress material
§ Fabrics for yarn dyed home textiles
§ Management Structure & Employment
§ Category of employment
§ Average employment
§ Skill levels of the Personnel
§ Various issues related to quality of Powerloom Products analysed
§ Publication on " Status of Powerloom Industry in Tamil Nadu with special emphasis on Modernization" is available.
§ Market Survey of Jute Carry Bags in the household sector in India
§ Conducted survey in 46 cities covering 16 states.
§ 4510 households in urban area covered.
§ The level of awareness regarding Jute bags among the household assessed.
§ The effect on purchase of Jute Bags analysed according to :
§ Family Size
§ Area of residence etc.
§ Demand & prevailing prices of Jute bags in the household sector estimated.
§ Major improvements suggested in Jute Bags regarding
§ Colour & Design
§ Handle, etc.
§ Major steps to promote the sale of Jute bags highlighted.
§ Statewise names and addresses of Manufacturers/Wholesalers and retailers of Jute Bags available
§ Publication " Market Survey of Jute Carry Bags in the household sector in
" is available. India
§ Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey
§ Purchase of Textiles assessed.
§ Survey covers 113 urban centres & 256 rural centres all over
§ A large panel of 13600 households maintained.
§ Data collected on bi-monthly basis through experienced volunteers in panels.
§ Supervision by the Committee officers.
§ 20% panel replaced every year.
§ Internal corrective mechanism to check sample bias and genuineness of data.
§ Annual report in single volume.
§ Varieties covered.
§ Half Pant
§ Saree ( 5 Metres)
§ Terry Towel
§ Bed Sheets etc.
§ Per Capita consumption of textiles are available.
§ The report contains the disaggregated tables for in-depth analysis.
§ MTC Report for 2006 in single Volume released.
§ Major users are the textile mills, traders, research organizations and the Govt.
§ Publication on " Market for Textiles and Clothing Survey " is available.
Policy Related Studies
§ Experiences of Foreign Direct Investors in
( on Textiles) India
§ Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey.
§ Strategies and Preparedness for Trade and Globalisation in
for Textiles and Clothing Sector in collaboration with UNCTAD India
§ Implications of WTO on Textile Industry.
Market Research Wing
§ Headed by Director
§ Assisted by a pool of trained and experienced personnel.
§ Supervisory staff located at strategic places
§ Other offices of Textiles Committee also support in supervisory functions of experts drawn from leading research organisations.
§ An Advisory Committee guides research.
§ The Committee includes experts from
§ Research/Educational Institutions
§ Consumer Protection Groups
§ 30 Offices of the Committee located in major textile centres support Market Research activities .
§ Complementary activities by the Laboratories, Quality Appraisal and TQM division of the Committee.
§ Close co-ordination and linkages with other Govt. and research organizations.
§ Only organization which has been maintaining panel of 11860 households ( sample survey since 1969 ).
§ Only organization in process of setting up online integrated textile market intelligence for Small and Medium Enterprises.
§ Reliable source of data for policy by the Govt. and the market planning by the industry.
The globalisation has brought about enormous challenges to the trade and industry; and the worst sufferers are the producers of unique textile products who loose their markets due to large-scale infringement of the product. The promulgation of Geographical Indication (GI) Act, 1999 by Government of India has created an avenue for protection of these unique products of the country. The GI Act stipulates protection of the market of the producers and safeguards the interests of the consumers of these unique products through registration and taking infringement action against the infringers. It is believed, that the IPR Protection of unique textiles products of the country with a predetermined market linkage strategy would help in brand building of the product, providing market linkages, generating more employment opportunities and enhanced income to the stakeholders.
In order to protect these unique products, the Textiles Committee has been spearheading a nationwide campaign in the country through facilitating GI registration of potential products and technical knowledge transfers. Besides the Committee is disseminating the trade related information for capacity building. As a part of the endeavour, the Committee have also facilitated GI registration for products like Lucknow Chikan Craft, Banaras Saree & Brocades of Uttar Pradesh, Khandua Saree & Fabrics, Pipli Applique of Orissa, Bandhani Textiles and Surat Zari of Gujarat, Paithani Saree of Maharashtra, Bhagalpur Silk of Bihar, Guledgudda Fabrics of Karnataka etc. The state governments of Kerala and Uttar Pradesh have taken the support of Textiles Committee for GI registration of some of their unique products.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS OF TEXTILES COMMITTEE DURING THE XIth FIVE YEAR PLAN (i.e., for 2007 – 2012)
I. Demand Estimation of Textiles & Clothing in Domestic Sector of India
1. National Household Survey: Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey – 2006
2. National Household Survey: Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey – 2008
3. National Household Survey: Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey – 2009
4. National Household Survey: Market for Textiles & Clothing Survey – 2010
II. Sectoral Database Creation and Census
5. Census : Indian Textile Engineering Industry (2009)
III. Studies on International Trade & WTO Issues
6. Indian Apparel Competitiveness in Post – ATC EU Market (2007)
7. NAMA Negotiations : Implication on Indian Textile Sector (2007)
8. Implication of Non Tariff Barriers (NTBs) on Textiles and Clothing Exports of India (2009)
9. Sensitivity of Tariff Cut on T&C Sector: Options for India at WTO (2009)
10. Impact of Indo-Sri Lanka Free Trade Agreement on T&C Sector of India (2011)
11. Export Competitiveness analyses of T&C products of India in US market (2011)
12. Competitiveness analyses of T&C products in SAFTA countries (2012)
IV. Facilitation of IPR Protection through Geographical Indications Act
13. Evolution and Growth of the Appliqué Craft of Orissa (2007)
14. Art and Artifacts of Luknowi Chikankari (2007)
15. Dream of Weaving: Banaras Sarees and Brocades in India (2007)
16. Khandua Sarees and Fabrics: Tradition & Pride of Orissa. (2008)
17. Awareness, Assessment and Identification of Potential GI Products of Textiles & Clothing Sectors (2009)
18. Pochampally Ikat: A Comparative Market Analysis for Pre & Post GI Registration Period (2008)
19. Solapur Terry Towel & Chaddar: A Comparative Market Analysis for Pre & Post GI Registration Period (2008)
20. Balaramapuram Sarees & Fine Cotton Fabrics: The Pride of God’s Own Country. (2008)
21. Study and Documentation of Bhagalpur Silk (2008)
22. Study and Documentation of Bandhani of Gujarat. (2008)
23. Study and Documentation of Surat Zari Work (2008)
24. Study and Documentation of Paithani Sarees & Dress Material. (2008)
25. Study and Documentation of Udupi Sarees. (2010)
26. Study and Documentation of Guledgudd Khana. (2010)
27. Study and Documentation of Chendamangalam Dhoties & Set Mundu. (2010)
28. Study and Documentation of Maunath Bhanjan Sarees and Fabrics. (2010)
29. Study and Documentation of Agra Durries. (2010)
30. Study and Documentation of Lucknow Zardozi. (2010)
31. Study and Documentation of Farhukkabad Prints. (2010)
32. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Bihar. (2011)
33. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Gujarat. (2011)
34. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Karnataka. (2011)
35. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Kerala. (2011)
36. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Madhya Pradesh. (2011)
37. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Rajasthan. (2011)
38. Study and Documentation of Craft Indications of Tamil Nadu. (2011)
V. Impact Analysis
39. Impact Assessment of MGNREGA Scheme on Textile Consumption in Rural India (2011)
VI. Newsletter and Monograph Series
40. Trade, Globalisation & Textiles (Newsletter) (2008)
41. Procedure for IPR Protection through Geographical Indications (GI) Act (2009)
One time Sectoral Database Creation and Census
1. Census of Textile Power Processing Industry in India (2005)
2. Directory of Power Operated Textile Processing Units in India (2005)
3. A study on technical Manpower & training Infrastructure in India Apparel Industry (2004)
4. Status of Powerloom Sector in Tamil Nadu : Focus on Modernization (2003)
5. Handlooms & Powerloom of Kerala : Strategies for Integrated Development (2003)
6. Handlooms & Powerlooms of Orissa : Problems & Prospects (2003)
7. Cotton ginning & Pressing Factories in India: A census based Techno Economic Study (2002)
8. Directory of Cotton Ginning & Pressing Factories in India (2002)
For Details please contact :
Dr. P. Nayak